Mind failed ~ need assistance on a beginners issue ~ Combo list issue

• 13 years ago

Hello All!

It's been 14 yrs since I built a large Dbase, which was in DBase4.

How times have changed.

Here’s my problem.

ACCESS 2003

29 tables thus far.

4 base tables named 0001HWFIN, 0001HWDES, 0001HWMFG, 0001HWTPLATE;   finish, description, manufacturer, template. I made these 4 tables, due to the fact that the information is repeated through all tables, so better to just make them a selection in a combo list selection in other tables. All 4 are single fields, with the exception being MFG, which has two fields, the full name of a manufacturer, the other, an abbreviation of the MFG.

These four work fine, as combo list selections with the subsequent tables that pull the data from them.

Let’s call this step one of the database structures.

The RELATIONSHIP of these 4 tables to the next table step on the ladder, I have set is One to Many, /w Enforced Referential. Integrity.

The first subsequent table of 14 tables is named 05AHINGEHW, with the fields named

05ATAG (Primary key), text ~ input entry

05ADES ~ text, COMBO LIST selection

05AMFG~ text, COMBO LIST selection

05ATPLATE~ text, COMBO LIST selection.

The next table is a mirrored content table, with the distinguishing difference being that the “A” is changed to a “B”, due to there possibly being a different selection being possibly required to work in conjunction with the first, “A”.

These work fine, as it does for the other 13 similar tables, that take the data values from the 4.

These are step two of my database structure.

Here’s were the problem starts, in step 3.

The Table that all this is to come together is 500A_ARCHHWGRPS, with the following fields

500A_SET_No (Primary key), text ~ input entry

05ATAG ~ text, COMBO LIST selection

05ADES ~ text

05AMFG~ text

05ATPLATE~ text

The relationship is set from Table 05AHINGEHW being one, to the Many being 500A_ARCHHWGRPS, , /w Enforced Referential. Integrity being set and Cascade update and the JION properties being set to 2:  Include ALL records from '05AHINGEHW' and only those records from '500A_ARCHHWGRPS' where the joined fields are equal.

And here’s the SQL:

SELECT DISTINCTROW [05AHINGEHW].[05ATAG], [05AHINGEHW].[05ADES], [05AHINGEHW].[05AFIN], [05AHINGEHW].[05AMFG], [05AHINGEHW].[05ATPLATE], *

FROM 05AHINGEHW

ORDER BY [05AHINGEHW].[05ATAG];

I am wanting to do a selection via 05ATAG combo selection and have the related data values to that selection, from 05AHINGEHW, enter into the 05A DES, FIN, MFG & TPLATE fields in the 500A_ARCHHWGRPS table.

Ok…. What the heck am I doing wrong?!Sad [:(]

HELP!!!!!!!

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“There's no test like production” - Anon