How to assign a button the value of a Javascript f

java , javascript Israel
  • 15 years ago

Let's say i have a textbox in HTML like this
    <input type=text id=Text1 >
    I tried to add the line this :
    <..... value=GetValue()>
    where GetValue is a JavaScript function i wrote, but Nada, is assigns the value as a string: "GetValue()"

Question:

How to assgin a button or a text box the value returned from a function?

Would i have to use ASP? cause i don't wanna.
    10x
    I.

• 15 years ago

You can do this straight through JavaScript.  No ASP is needed.
    Try this approach:

Add the following line in your JavaScript function.  This will set the value of your text field.  (haven't tried this with a button, though, only fields)

document.myform.fieldname.value = myvalue;

• 15 years ago

Another question, if you please.

Question:

How do I tell the script to keep running?

Meaning I have a JV sub which checks values. How do I make it keep on runnig?
    10x for the previous answer, It helped.
    I.

• 15 years ago

The script should keep running.  I would have to see the entire script to see where it ends, but the code I mentioned in my previous post will set the value and processing should continue.
    Are you returning False anywhere in your functions?

• 15 years ago

I know it resumes running after the assigning but I meant, how do I make an endless loop:

What I mean is that I want my page to run in an endless loop.
    Or to stop running only at a certain value it occurs, but else it should keep on running CheckVars that checks values:

Code:

function CheckVars(){
       alert("Value is:" + Ocx2.value);
       if (Ocx2.IsAsking ==false)
          Ocx1.HideAskBox();
       else
          Ocx1.ShowAskBox();
    return;
    }// check vars

setTimeout ("CheckVars()",1000);

//-->

• 15 years ago

Try calling this function from a form's OnSubmit button that way it will run the check before it is submitted.  Return a false if there was an invalid entry.

To create endless loops, you may want to look into Do...While statements or For statements that will run your code until a certain criteria exists.  If this is a web page you probably don't want this.

I would have to see your code for the entire page to see how you are using it.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Computer science education cannot make anybody an expert programmer any more than studying brushes and pigment can make somebody an expert painter” - Eric Raymond