Getting Culture Information through Javascript

.net , asp.net , java , javascript , xhtml Ambāla, India
  • 8 years ago

Hi All

I am developing one web application in which I have used the localization concept introduced in .net 2.0

I am dispalying my UI based on the client culture.Now I want the information regarding the browser at client side as I can able to know about the language of client browser. And Hence I will be able to show the UI culture specific as to client browser.

But I am not finding anything which can give me browser language information (example: if English en-US) through JAVA SCRIPT I have used navigator but it is not working with IE 6.0 & above Considering user is using IE I have to find another way

Please help remember it all I want to do in JAVA SCRIPT     

Thanks in advance

Swapnil

• 8 years ago

Hi,

When i want to get some server data into a javascript function, i tend to stick with using a client callback, the javascipt function can call a server side function without causing a full postback and have the UICulture returned to it in a string.

That way, regardless of browser, you should be able to get the result you want.

Let me know if you need help with it.

Si

• 8 years ago

HI Slicksim

Sorry I didn't get you actally wht I want is like google when you open google it checks the UICulture of your computer and accordingly it displays the homepage.

Also I am very much intrested in knowing your concept.

Pls give me any info. you have

takecare Bye

Swapnil

• 8 years ago

Hi,

I wanted to attach a zip file with a mini project for you to use, but it seems i can't.

Here are the contents of the two files i have used, sorry it is VB.Net, i don't do C#.

This is the .aspx page

<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="_Default" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head runat="server">
        <title>Untitled Page</title>
        <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
            function Culture(cult)
            {
                alert(cult);
            }
        </script>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
            <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />
            <div>
            </div>
        </form>
    </body>

This is the aspx.vb file

Partial Class _Default
        Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
        Implements ICallbackEventHandler

Public Function GetCallbackResult() As String Implements System.Web.UI.ICallbackEventHandler.GetCallbackResult
            Return Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture.Name
        End Function

Public Sub RaiseCallbackEvent(ByVal eventArgument As String) Implements System.Web.UI.ICallbackEventHandler.RaiseCallbackEvent

End Sub

Protected Sub form1_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles form1.Load
            Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType, "getculture", "<script  type='text/javascript' language='javascript'>" & ClientScript.GetCallbackEventReference(Me, "", "Culture", "") & " ;</script>")
        End Sub
    End Class

Hopefully that will help you out.  if you need it explaining, just let me know.

Simon C

• 7 years ago

Hi

The following command can help you.

this.clientInformation {...} appCodeName: "LTMM" appMinorVersion: "0" appName: "Microsoft Internet Explorer" appVersion: "" browserLanguage: "en-us" connectionSpeed: {???} cookieEnabled: true cpuClass: "x86" mimeTypes: {...} onLine: true opsProfile: null platform: "Win32" plugins: {...} systemLanguage: "en-us" userAgent: "LTMM" userLanguage: "en-us"

Kishor Rudra

• 7 years ago

Hi

The following command can help you.

this.clientInformation.browserLanguage

Kishor Rudra

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint Exupéry