Help: MS VC++6 crash!!

.net , cpp , csharp Plymouth, United Kingdom
  • 12 years ago

Hello can anybody help me?  I have MS Visual C++6 professional edition on my Toshiba Satellite A60-105 laptop with Windows XP Home edition operating system.  When I compile /build a program with its developer, it often crashes (once in every ten or fifteen times).  When it happens, the only way that I can get out of it is to press [Alt]+[Ctrl] +[Del]. The operating system itself does not crash.  Something strange about it is that I have got another computer with Windows XP and the same never happens with this computer.  I have checked the compatibilities of MS VC++6's developer's executable files and they are all set to the compatibilty with Windows 95.  So there should be no problem with it.  Can anybody make a suggestion!?

Thanks

Chong

• 12 years ago

Hi chong,

First check if it happens in a new project.

I had same problem some years ago, I think after reinstalling VS or Windows, problem solved. Then first try reinstalling VS then Windows (If there is no other solutions and you can do that with no many troubles).

• 12 years ago

Hi Mohammad

Thanks for you advice once againSmiley Face.

I have contacted the Toshiba Techinical Support team for their help.  Their advice was that I should get Service Pack2 into my laptop, which I had tried only to find that it made no difference.  They even suggested that my VC++ 6 developer was not suittable for the Toshiba laptop, which I rather doubted.  I have reinstalled VC++6 again only to find that it too made no difference.  I talked to somebody in a computer shop who suggested from his experience that maybe some background system processs was responsible for it and promised to check my computer thoroughly if I brought my laptop to him.  I have tried quite a few things in vain only to imagine that somebody up there just did not like me or my Toshiba.  In the end, I have decided to get myself another laptop.  It is good time for me to get myself a new laptop with a double processors.  I have arranged a visit to a local computer shop to view some of their specifications.  Many thanks again.

Best regards

Chong

• 12 years ago
    Have best codings in your new laptop! Yes
  • 12 years ago

Hi Mohammad

I seem to have ridiculed myself this time!  When I checked the compatibility in the Property of the icon, I forgot to tick its compatibility with Windows 95!!  The Property box displayed the Windows 95 compatibilty option and I assumed that it had been already chosen!!!  How embarassing!!  By the way, can you recommend a latter Vsiaul C++ version which is affordable!!?  Visual C++6 is almost 13years old and Microsoft do not support it!  If you do, can you tell me a little bit about it?  I don't really want to learn everything from scratch!!

Best regards

Chong

• 12 years ago

Hi Chong,

I can run VC++ 6 and its apps in WinXP without any changes in their properties, I'm using VC++6 (98), that's from1998. Also VC++ 6 has some service packs that I don't know about them, maybe they can do more!

But for versions, after VC++6, MS jumped into .NET platform, then all the next versions of VC++ are in .NET platform, they are:

VC++ 7.0(.NET 2000), VC++ 7.1(.NET 2003), VC++ 8(.NET 2005), VC++ 9(.NET 2008).

You can create MFC and console or other apps in VC++ later versions, there is very little changes overall(biggest one is the removal of ClassWizard), in the syntax there is almost no changes, but even this doesn't make any trouble.

I suggest you to use VS .NET, since there is almost no difference in how to program, then you can write your first program after some minutes. Actually there is something to discover not to learn, then don't worry about that.

I think you should give it a try, as all the new things that MS gives is on the .NET versions, you know the benefit of this try! You can also learn VC++ .NET platform programming that is not MFC but in CLR and should be better than MFC, but has something more than discover but easy for a MFC programmer. Also consider C# that the syntax is just like C++ and only has some new things, and the most change is how to program, then VC# is like VC++.NET but it's the special language for .NET platform.

• 12 years ago
    My dear friend Mohammad Many thanks for your advice. All the ther guys will agree with me that you are very valuable for all of us. Thanks to you, I have learnt quite a few interesting things! Many thanks again. By the way, I have posted another question recently. It is about Client-Server application and AsyncSocket class. If you can help me with this one, I would be really and really grateful. I am even prepared to pay you a small sum of moeny (i.e. I am a poor man) for your expertise or to send a gift as a token of my grattitude for your help, whichever you prefer. Or you can give me a tip about someone who can help me on this!! I look forward to hearing form you. You always give me someting which I have to pay great attnetion to. It is so exciting to hear from you. I know that I can count on you, Moammad. Best regards Chong
  • 12 years ago
    Hello dear Chong, My friendship with you is the best thing that you have given me! and there is no need for anything else. By the way I didn't do anything special for you, just some answers, but you are so nice to talk me so! I've also learned from you and should thank you for all of that(some of them are from your questions ;) ).
  • 12 years ago
    I just wanna to know on how to compile a sample Msvc++ project that that include:- header file main file implementation . . . . . etc can anyone help me by showing sample print screen figure to my mail [email protected]

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Every language has an optimization operator. In C++ that operator is ‘//’”