Most appropriate platform independent development language

platform independent , cross platform Reading, United Kingdom
  • 11 years ago

Hi,

A project is looming whereby some code that I will be writing may be deployed on any hardware that

potential clients happen to have. Its a business application that will be running 24/7 so I

envisage that most of the host machines will be server type boxes but smaller clients might, for

example, just have a simple PC.

A few more details about the code I will be writing:

1. There will be no GUI.

2. It will need to communicate with another bespoke 'black box' device over an Ethernet network.

3. It will need to communicate with a MySQL database somewhere on the network.

4. I don't have any performance concerns as a) the number of communications with the black box

will be small, around 1 per second, and the amount of data exchanged will be tiny (around 1K each

time), b) the number of read/writes with the database will be small, around 5 per minute, and

again the amount of data exchanged will be tiny and c) the processing that needs to be performed

is fairly simplistic.

1. Nothing I'm doing is very 'close to the metal' so I don't want to use languages that are too

low level. Ease of development and ease of deployment are my main priorities.

1. I'm not expecting there to be a perfect solution so I can live with things like, for example,

having to have slightly different configuration files for Windows machines than for Linux boxes

etc. I would like to avoid having to compile the software for each host machine if possible

though.

I would value your thoughts as to which development language you think is most suitable.

Cheers,

Jim

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field” - Niels Bohr