New IE7 and session variables in PHP

• 14 years ago

I've been playing with the new IE7 which was released a couple of days ago. This is the final Beta2, not the preview or update to the preview, but the actual beta2...

I've noticed some very odd behaviour with its use of sessions, in particular in the CAPTCHA feature on my petition site at www.aut-boycott.co.uk

This works by generating a little random code, and then putting that code both into an image which the user sees, and a session variable. The user then types in the code and submits the form, and the PHP script checks to see if what's submitted is the same as what's in the session variable, thus proving it's a real human submitting the script, not an automated program.

Basically, it says I've put in the wrong code even when I haven't. Whilst trying to find if it was a bug in my code (which has always worked perfectly fine before...) I added in echo statements to see what the code in the POST and the code in the SESSION variables were - they're different. And I can't figure out why.

Exactly the same code and setup works fine in IE6 and Firefox 1.5.0.2......

I'm quite perplexed as to why this happens - if anyone's got any ideas then I'd love to hear them. I can post code snippets if people are interested.

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Memory is like an orgasm. It's a lot better if you don't have to fake it.” - Seymour Cray