JavaScript/VBScript

java , javascript United States
  • 17 years ago

What is the advantage/differences/disadvantage of VBScript and JavaScript?

• 17 years ago

well, vbscript is widely used in ASP (since it is run on the server), asides that, i don't see much use, maybe because nobody wants to help microsoft!!! lol, some argue there's wider support for javascript (JScript on Microsoft IE, and Javascript on Netscape. It is an implementation of ECMAscript, you should find info at

http://www.ecma.ch    find your way to ecma specification?

so if you want a wide compatibility for your script, you choose jscript/javascript, it is the one with the highest guarantee to work, that's if you don't make use of proprietary features (these are those that netscape and microsoft decide to add to their own implementatio of ecmascript in order to entice people, not knowing that they are making it more difficult to ensure compatibility!!!)

vbscript shares syntax with visual basic (classic), so if you know vb5/6 then you can as well say you know vbscript, meanwhile javascript/jscript draws syntax from c++ and java, it is also case sensitive, and has more APPEAL (at least i find it more appealing, even though i do VB!)

so, if you'd ask me, you go for javascript/jscript, leave vbscript for asp, it's even more interesting to use in asp!

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Before software should be reusable, it should be usable.” - Ralph Johnson