Remote access to files via web server ....

css , sharepoint United Kingdom
  • 14 years ago

Hi there

Hope i have posted this in the correct forum ...

Basically i am looking for a solution ... currently we have an Excel spreadsheet that approx. 7 people use. The spreadsheet is stored on a network drive so when people are in the office they can open it and amend it. The issue is that when they are out of the office they cannot. So what usually happens is they have a copy on their laptops and they email the amended copy to someone in the office who adds changes to main network version. You can see that this is not a great solution for a multitude of reasons!!

Everyone has internet access so i tried making the spreadsheet available through the webserver but this is read only of save changes into a new document??

Is there a good, safe and secure way to allow read/write access remotely to the main network document or to a document on the webserver (IIS)?

Should i be looking at SharePoint or alternatives?

Is there a more straight forward solution by tweaking the permissions??

Thanks in advance - hope i have explained the situation ok

P

• 14 years ago

Web sites are by definition a read-only medium, where the end user can download and view your content, but cannot upload it back to your server having made changes. You can of course implement systems (such as forms with File boxes) which allow users to upload files to the webserver - this may be an option for you, although overwriting an existing file may pose a problem.

If you've got IIS, you could simply use FTP (depending on how easy your workers find computers).

Or, you could give them VPN access to the work network, which essentially puts them back on the corporate network, and so they could access the network share as normal.

With so many people working on the same file, you should probably have some kind of check-in/check-out system, so that you avoid users potentially overwriting each others changes. You may be able to find such a system for a webserver with a bit of googling...

• 14 years ago

If you or anyone else in your company programs ASP.NET, this page (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/spptsdk/html/soapptCreateCustomWebService_SV01083361.asp) may be of interest to you...

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.” - Robert R. Coveyou