cfg files in C

cpp Grenada
  • 14 years ago
    hi,
    can anybody give me some details about cfg files.
    that means structure of cfg files,creating a cfg file and reading a cfg file in c.
    thank u

• 14 years ago

Hi harish

You can handle cfg files in notepad

Regards
    DoctorMahdi

• 14 years ago

here's an example of a cfg (config) file for a word processor

[Fonts]
    Default=Arial
    Current=Arial
    Size=14
    [UI]
    Toolbar=true
    Title=Word Processor

and so on... text within the square brackets ([ ]) is a sub-heading, while the text below it is an option (ie. option_name=option value)

it should be easy to write a simple parser for a config file in C

• 14 years ago

[Fonts]
    Default=Arial
    Current=Arial
    Size=14
    [UI]
    Toolbar=true
    Title=Word Processor

and so on... text within the square brackets ([ ]) is a sub-heading, while the text below it is an option (ie. option_name=option value)

• 14 years ago

[Fonts]
    Default=Arial
    Current=Arial
    Size=14
    [UI]
    Toolbar=true
    Title=Word Processor

• 14 years ago

config files can contain anything you want them to contain, and in any format you desire.  The formats previously posted are standard *.ini file formats, often used by MS-Windows such as win32 api function GetPrivateProfileString(). 

• 14 years ago

srry about the triple-post - didn't realise that happened... must confirm what i want to say before i click post...

i'd suggest also looking into using the windows registry, it's always gonna be there and you don't have to worry that some one moved the config file (or you could just have a set of defaults if the file doesn't exist)

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“The greatest performance improvement of all is when a system goes from not-working to working.” - John Ousterhout