How do I retrieve the IP of the system?

cpp.net India
  • 14 years ago

Tell me the steps how to make and include lib file to MFC project so i can get the ip address of the system...if somebody can help me then tell me .....how all this job i hav to do...from very starting..

below is the code that i found ... that may be used for get the ip address of the system...

thanks

There is a function gethostbyname for getting the ip address using Winsock. This function will retrieve the ip address details into a variable of type "structure hostent". 

The first step in creating this program is to ensure the socket library is initialized, if it is not initialized else-where. The next step is to call the gethostbyname function which will return a pointer to the hostent structure. This pointer to the hostent structure can be used to get the ip address into a sockaddr_in type.
        In fact it is possible to get the ip without using the sockaddr_in structure also. But using sockaddr_in is a much cleaner way of doing the work.

Please feel free to copy/paste the function below and use/manipulate it in your applications wherever needed.

#include <winsock2.h> 

void GetHostIP()
    {
        char *Ip;
        WSADATA wsaData;
        struct hostent *pHostEnt; 
        struct sockaddr_in tmpSockAddr; //placeholder for the ip address

// Not needed if it is already taken care by some other part of the application
        WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(2,0),&wsaData); 

char hostname[25];
        strcpy(hostname,"Test Computer Name")
        //This will retrieve the ip details and put it into pHostEnt structure
        pHostEnt = gethostbyname(hostname);

if(pHostEnt == NULL)
        {
            printf("Error occured: %s\n",GetLastError());
            return;
        }

memcpy(&tmpSockAddr.sin_addr,pHostEnt->h_addr,pHostEnt->h_length);

Ip = NULL;
        Ip = new char[17];
        strcpy(Ip,inet_ntoa(tmpSockAddr.sin_addr));
        printf("Ip Address of the machine %s is %s\n",Ip);

// Not needed if it is already taken care by some other part of the application
        WSACleanup();

delete [] Ip;
    }

Note:
    The socket programs in MFC need the library ws2_32.lib to be referenced before linking. Otherwise the VC++ linker throws errors.

mandeep

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“A computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are, in short, a perfect match” - Bill Bryson