Stupid pointer problems

• 13 years ago
    I haven't done C programming in AGES and for some reason, I can't seem to recall how to handle stuff like this.

In my .h file, I have a struct defined as:

struct tagCLIENT
    {
        char * advertisedIPAddr;
        char* actualIPAddr;
        char * clientID;
        int udpPort;
        time_t age;
    }  CLIENT;

I then have a function:

CLIENT** LoadClientsFile(char* filename);

I'm getting an error on this last line. I assume, for some, it doesn't like the CLIENT**.

I'm actually compiling with gcc, so the error message is a bit differen than I'd probably get with MS C/C++ compiler. The error message is simply, "syntax error before '*' token"

What am I doing wrong?

If I change the return type to void* it works fine. 

Thanks.

• 13 years ago

CLIENT is a variable of type tagCLIENT , you can't use a variable for return type of a function (if do that, will be assumed as a definition statement, by the compiler), instead you should use a type .

=> I think you mean this one :

tagCLIENT** LoadClientsFile(char* filename);

======================================= 

=> or you can do the following method (typedef statement), then CLIENT will be equivalent to tagCLIENT.

typedef struct tagCLIENT
    {
        char * advertisedIPAddr;
        char* actualIPAddr;
        char * clientID;
        int udpPort;
        time_t age;
    }  CLIENT;

CLIENT** LoadClientsFile(char* filename);

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“The trouble with programmers is that you can never tell what a programmer is doing until it's too late.” - Seymour Cray