Dividing an Excel cell into columns.

divide , cell , excel London, United Kingdom
  • 11 years ago

Hi all

I am trying to find a solution in breaking up an Excel cell. For example, the current cell looks like this:

NICOLA LOUISE CARTER, Line Leader of 8 Ruskin Close, Haverhill, Suffolk CB9 7GJ also known as NICOLA LOUISE WILMAN lately residing at 48 Ellenborough Close, Bishop's Stortford, Herts, CM23 4HT and formerly at 15 Winchester Close, Bishop's Stortford, Herts, CM23 4JG and 8 Robinson Close, Bishop's Stortford, Herts, CM23 and 50 Baileys Court, Red Lion Lane, Harlow, CM17 9BT

I need to split this down so that I have seperate columns for each address, not names, occupations, so:

Address 1
    Town 1
    Postcode 1

Address 2
    Town 2
    Postcode 2

Address 3
    Town 3
    Postcode 3

Address 4
    Town 4
    Postcode 4

Is this possible or un likely? Everyone I have asked has said unlikely due to how many variables... There are 350 of these a day that need splitting so I am obviously very keen not to have to do them manually..

I found this programme but am not familiar enough with excel to know if it'll be helpful..

http://www.topshareware.com/Excel-Split-Cells-Into-Multiple-Rows-or-Columns-Software-download-55468.htm

I think the data originally comes in xml format but for ease of use we convert it to .xls

Thanks in advance if anyone can poijnt me in the right direction

Paul

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Anyone who considers arithmetic methods of producing random digits is, of course, in a state of sin.” - John von Neumann