C++ Programmers

• 18 years ago

Let's get some C++ Programmers in here!     I'm dying to have more topics in here.  heheh
    Tell all your friends, mention it on other boards, advertise, advertise, advertise!

• 18 years ago

submit code & tutorials too...  i must admit, the c++ section pf the site is one area i haven't promoted too heavily....

• 18 years ago

That's OK James...

I just got into C++ this year and I'm really liking it.  The functionality and flexibility is amazing!
    Hopefully I can get GOOD enough to submit some samples and tutorials!  Right now, I just know classes, templates, overloading, inheritance, data structures, etc...  I haven't done any major projects yet.  

• 18 years ago

Most programmers use C or BASIC. So why is this one so unpopular? Anyway, I'm new at this thing, but I'm working on a small text based RPG in C. When it's done, I'll post it.

• 18 years ago

C++ is unpopular? Did I miss a meeting or something?

C++ isn't so popular among n00bs because it's a real pain in the butt to make windows apps.  I'm in the middle (closer to the beginning!) of teaching myself Visual C++, and it's really starting to make sense.  I got into C++ (using borland) about 4 years ago in a highschool programming class and found it really easy, but getting into windows programming is almost like starting all over again. My hard work will pay off in spades though

• 18 years ago

He means that it's unpopular in this forum.  

And yeah, newbs don't want to program C++ because it involves WRITING CODE!

I've noticed more than a few times people asking questions in the VB forum saying stuff like "Hi, I downloaded this code and I was wondering why it won't work.  Does anyone know where I can download some source code that does such and such?  Or can anyone write me a function that does such and such?"

That sort of thing gives us VB Programmers a bad name -- i.e. NOT Programmers!  

• 18 years ago

What the BEEP is the point of being a programmer if you don't code?

• 18 years ago

I'm thinking he was poking a little fun at the fact that a pretty decent program can be written in VB without having to write one line of code.  Which is why it's favourable among n00bs and people who really don't have a knack for programming in the first place

• 18 years ago

Hi people, this is my first post here so please forgive me if i'm not up on ettiquete.

I've always hand coded small apps in Turbo C, mainly reading the par port pins and sending to them via inportb() etc,
    and drawing direct to the screen with lines and points etc. I do a lot of hardware development and use these home made
    turbo C tools a lot.

Now i need to start making windows apps, many of my tools will only run in dos and win95 (dos). I've been playing with Delphi,
    and looked at C++ Builder. I really want to make small fast apps, stand-alone .exe files preferably, and don't need support for
    web databases and large classes etc. Is C# going to be any better than what I have looked at? I totally hate the idea of run-time
    library stuff like VB, i'm used to writing CODE for the CPU, and trying to replicate some of my 50kb .exe tools seem to turn into 2Mb
    apps full of files.

Sorry this post got long, I really just want to code small apps that draw to the screen, read/write the ports, and read/write binary
    data to disk files. Any suggestions on which windows C compiler I should buy?? Thanks!

• 18 years ago

From what I've heard, C# is really high end, internet related stuff.  If you want to do low level windows programming, I'd go with MS Visual C++ or another Borland product.  I don't know ass from elbow when it comes to C#, so I could be wrong.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Never trust a programmer in a suit.” - Anonymous