Please Help With C++

• 18 years ago

I have only just started laerning C++ - so far I only know the very basics (variables, if statements, switch, loops .. etc) ...

I'm extremely interested in making a game when my knowledge improves. Ideally I'd like to make it in 3D, like a typical game you would find on the PC... But I have no clue as to how to go about this ...
    what kinda of code skeleton would I have to produce?
    how do I create, control and simulate 3D objects and enviroments?
    what is needed in terms of programming structure and practice?

I am very puzzled on this and would appreciate any help that anyone may have, or could point me in the direction of help or advice.
    many thanks,
    - OJ

• 18 years ago

You really need to look at DirectX or OpenGL. There is a very good book on DirectX by Mason McCuskey (who owns his own game development company) its very easy to follow and directed at using DirectX specifically for gaming.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931841063/qid=1025606592/sr=2-3/ref=sr23_3/026-1799435-

Hope this helps

valkyr

• 18 years ago

... just to add to Valkyr's comments, I think you should start with DirectX as starters as its easier than OpenGL - as I've found in my ventures but i started when DirectX 6.1 was the latest and greatest(1998/99) times may have changed but I still believe DirectX is easier than OpenGL.

Take a look at some of the code written by other developers for:
    OpenGL
    DirectX

Here are some basic Shots written by some people:

DirectX Flight Simluation:

DirectX Shoot'em UP:

OpenGL Particle Engine:

Hope that inspires u a little! I left game development and went on to Application development but it's great fun when you have the time!

Good Luck!

• 18 years ago

thank you very much, you both have been very helpfull.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC. As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.” - E. W. Dijkstra