Reading a weighing scale through COM port and PHP

php , mysql , visual basic , com port Jakarta, Indonesia
  • 12 years ago
    Hi All, I need some help trying to capture a weight on a weghbridge scale that is hooked to the PC via a COM Port. I would like to be able to have the user click a button and have the weight captured in my application. I developed this application using PHP 5 and Mysql server.My scale indicator is Avery weightronix - E1205. regards Louis
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Louis, welcome to developerFusion! I think the first thing worth highlighting is, if your web application is sitting on a remote server somewhere, and you want the *client* to be able to take readings from this weighbridge scale, then you're going to need to create a client application that sits on the desktop machine. You've tagged the post with visual basic, so not sure if that means you're using VB 6? If you are, then you can check out our article on [com ports in vb 6](http://www.developerfusion.com/article/21/com-ports-and-the-mscomm-control/) that might be of some help... I assume you've got instructions from your weighing scales as to what format the messages take down the COM port? Hope that helps!
  • 12 years ago
    Any luck with this project? I am interested in doing the exact same thing. Joys of the internet. I have info on using the com port with PHP if it helps?

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.” - E. W. Dijkstra