HTML vs HTM

css Canada
  • 16 years ago

old crappy systems, i think like windows 3.1, cant have file extensions longer than 3 characters so .html confuses them.

but that's so far in the past that you can feel as free as you like to use the full acronym cos it always works and i think htm looks awful

• 16 years ago

looks better??
    what are you on
    its an extension!!! who cares what it looks like??

• 16 years ago

part of the beauty of a web site is its URL in the address bar

• 16 years ago

if you say so

but alot of people dont even look at the URL

• 16 years ago

yeah especially if its within frames, the url really wont be seen .............. but hey paul u can love whatever u like, ie the english love beer, scotish love haggis and the welsh love shee.....

• 16 years ago

oooooooooo
    thats not fair
    im english (and i love my beer)
    but im going to uni in wales
    and i cant stand sheep!!!

but there are an aweful lot of them in wales

• 16 years ago

gasp! your profile says you're 17 and you like beer?!?!?! hehehehe

sheep are cool dont be nasty!

baaaahhhh

and colin -> anyone who is still using frames in 2004 should be slapped round the face with a wet kipper

• 16 years ago

hey dont dis frames
    yes i like beer
    well lager to be precise

ive been drinking for years
    im 6'4" you see and well when you can grow stubble overnight people believe that your 18 ALOT!!!

• 16 years ago

well frames argument is bit like css-tables argument, use them in the right context and methods and they can be fine, ie my site ??? 2 frames, works on all browsers i know and is simple menu > info layout style... (correct me if im wrong)

ogh for beer goto

http://www.virtualbartender.beer.com/beer_usa.htm

and typing words in and clicking go.

try ass, strip, shower, banana, kiss, fight, bend, topless, pillow fight, head and anymore you can think of

• 16 years ago

ok i will at home
    im at college and the site is blocked by the servers
    damm them!!

• 16 years ago

it rocks

• 16 years ago
    Quote:
    [1]Posted by Rollershade on 18 Nov 2004 03:11 AM[/1]
    yeah especially if its within frames, the url really wont be seen .............. but hey paul u can love whatever u like, ie the english love beer, scotish love haggis and the welsh love shee.....

i hear that new zealanders love sheep... any feedback about that? (apart from if i've mispelt zealand)
  • 12 years ago

ts. can you tell me one rational reason why frames are told "obsolete"? I don't know non-scripting method to substitute it with full efficiency. The same way we could expell flash or fully-script-dependent pages from "valid web" area, because these things are real threat against "whole web page concept" :). For me is Flash technology greater evil against "document structure" than frame. And beside, frame is ONLY way to make dataflow lower (which not so important today, but it doesn't mean that it is not important at all). Anyway CSS is pretty good, but it isn't all, and sometimes is code much more readable with frame than in CSS and tables/divs. I really can't see much difference between including PHP to scrollable DIV and showing different document in FRAME. - and of course the way document behaves is character of document, not how document works and what code it has. That's my opinion. I like Pizza.

• 12 years ago

The .html file extension was the first one, and was used on Unix and other systems. Later, when MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 was used, the FAT 16 filename limitations meant that people uploading webpages were restricted to using the 8.3 notation. However, most people did not realise that once the file had been sent by FTP from the computer to the webserver that it could be renamed from .htm to .html instead. As they didn't know then few people actually did it. The web browser could use any filename irrespective of the actual operating system in use on the computer. However, saving files from the web would mean that longer filenames would be truncated to 8.3 format. Winodws 95, with long-filename support fixed all those problems. 

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Before software should be reusable, it should be usable.” - Ralph Johnson