is it possible to create exe file for access file

• 14 years ago

is it possible to create exe file for ms-access file like vb file.

• 14 years ago

Hi albert

1st Save a copy of your mdb file in another directory (Back up)
    then Open Access with no db, Choose Convert to MDE and select the database you want to use. This should create an executable MDE file. It will only display forms and reports, NO TABLES or QUERIES shown.

Regards

DoctorMahdi

• 14 years ago

Be aware, an MDE is not an executable file.In other words, your DB will not be a standalone DB

• 14 years ago

When I try to create an mde file I get the following error message:

This error is usually associated with compiling a large database into an MDE file.  Due to the method used to compile the database, a considerable number of TableID references are created for each table.  The Microsoft Jet database engine version 4.0 can only create a maximum of 2048 open TableIDs at one time.  Exporting a database as an MDE potentially can exceed this limit if the database has a large number of objects (table, macro, form, report, etc).There is no accurate method to estimate the number of TableIDs the Jet database engine uses during the process of compiling a database as an MDE.  However, each VBA module and each form uses one TableID, as a result, if the database has 500 forms, and each form's HasModule property is set to Yes, as many as 1,000 TableIDs are used.More information about this error message online.

Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong?  The database is a very small database that was created in Access 2000 that I converted to Access 2002-2003; maybe that could be the problem?

• 14 years ago
    there is no wrong with your database, needed to update your jet engine. change the version on your code.

cheers,

• 14 years ago

I frequently create MDE files and making a MDB MDE DOES carry the tables and queries with it in Access 2000.

As to whether it is a true exe file Iam not sure since I have not tried it on a platform without msAccess installed.

• 14 years ago

I repeat, you cannot create an exe file from an Access DB. Access files are containers. They contain objects and data. They cannot be converted to .exe files.

You can use the Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System to create an installation package that includes your application along with the MSAccess.exe runtime file to run your application.

• 14 years ago

Smith and Sussman say about MDE

1. It is NOT an executable file

2. It DOES contain a copy of ALL the database objects EXCEPT modeules.  They are compiled in the source database and then transfers them to the target database.

Access MDE files will  NOT run as standalone applications precisely as Tanus says. 

However I have never tried to do so and have a tendency to investigate despite compelling statements from experts (which I must declare I am not).  So many times I have found thast many who are more expert than I simply quote and have not tried.

This is not to be takrvn as a knock at experts but encouragement to novices to try for themselves.

• 12 years ago
    Yes, it's possible but you need to convert your Access forms, modules and reports to a project in a compliable language and then build an executable program. Visit www.microtools.us website. Their Access Whiz converters allow you to convert Access to VB6/VB .NET/C# projects that you can build your exe file.
  • 10 years ago

Definitely it is, to be honest I was posting the same questions some time back everywhere and then someone asked me to go for MDE Compiler which allows you to convert MDE to exe, without any problems. Small size but highly compatible. Download it here http://www.mdecompiler.com/

• 10 years ago

how can we access file with path "123.123.123.123/ace"(url)???....i tried using dir() to get info b/c its can be used in lan connection....so any help if u kno

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“A computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are, in short, a perfect match” - Bill Bryson