SQL Server 2000

• 18 years ago

I've just installed MS SQL Server onto my PC (Windows XP Pro) but I haven't a clue how to use it. I know it's different from Access, and assume you do stuff through a command line (?). I am running IIS but how do I simulate SQL server on my pc to replicate the version running at a real web server (we're migrating from Access). To create tables etc... we have the scripts but I'm not even at that point...help!

Does anyone know of a good online tutorial that can get me started.

Thanks in advanxce

• 18 years ago

sql server is a HUGE topic, so an online tutorial, which would hardly be available will not serve, you need to get yourself a good book, do a search at "amazon.com", you should find something useful. or http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/developer

i don't expect it is used through command lines, the enterprise edition comes with a host of visual tools, and programming languages like visual basic, c++ and java are used. in vb, the ado libraries are useful, in c++, ole db is used... you also need to get yourself up and running in "Transact Sql" or T-SQL, that's the language in which commands are issued to the server...

for using it with IIS, you need ado.net and asp.net, there's some books out there too, that cost just under $30 each, shouldn't be too bad?

• 18 years ago

Thanks, guess I'd better get down the book shop and stop being such a cheap-skate.

Cheers

• 18 years ago

and find a book that gives a hint of using it with the programming language you are familiar with. eg. if you do vb.net, i think there's a book that says: programming sql server with visual basic.net...

you're not a cheap skate...u need to know before you spend money: you prolly wasn't aware how huge it was.

• 18 years ago

He he

Quote:
    sql server is a HUGE topic

Now THAT is what I call an understatement

If you've installed the proper version (not MSDE)  then it should have installed SQL Server Bools Online on your hard drive.

• 18 years ago

even with MSDE, you can download the sql server BOL for free at www.microsoft.com/sql (just do a search)

and if you wanna learn, MSDE isn't too bad, but you might consider sql server personal edition or Developer edition, the personal ed should be affordable, the developer edition is also reasonable! and the enterprise edition: is only meant for companies cost over $3000!!!, and with each there's is a tradeoff btw price and "limits"

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Anyone who considers arithmetic methods of producing random digits is, of course, in a state of sin.” - John von Neumann