casting problems

csharp United States
  • 17 years ago

Hi !

I hope somebody can help me, i'm completly out of mind.
    My problem:

I have a class inherited from Windows.Forms.Control named BasicModule, which implements an interface named IModule (this has nothing to do with the Module-Class of the framework. it's selfmade).

Now when I instantiate an object dynamically from an assembly created from the source of BasicModule, i'm able to cast this object to Control, but not to IModule, not even to BasicModule.

so that you can imagine something:

public class BasicModule : Control, IModule
    { ... }

public interface IModule
    { ... }

now the critical part:

ModuleEntity selected = (ModuleEntity)trvQueries.SelectedNode.Tag;
    object instance = selected.Library.CreateInstance("DAP." + selected.Description.Class,true);
    pnlModule.Controls.Add((Control)instance);
    ((IModule)instance).DBConnection = dbConnection;

ModuleEntity holds information about the loaded assembly (stored in member "Library", "DAP" is namespace of project)
    pnlModule is a panel to which i want to add the control

it just doesn't work !
    the debugger even tells me, that "instance" is of type BasicModule, but i'm not able to cast it to this class

i also tried to make a abstract base-class, which inherits Controls and implements IModule
    and inherit BasicModule from this base-class
    but i also can't cast to that abstract base-class !

i'm freaking out

please help me, i'm in serious trouble if i don't solve the problem soon

ps: it's an requirement, that i can load any assembly-class, which implements the IModule interface, at runtime
    this is the base of an extensible application which loads specific dlls described in some xml-configuration-file
    so you don't have to rebuild the application when adding new modules

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Before software should be reusable, it should be usable.” - Ralph Johnson