crossover cable, 10mbit and 100mbit cards

networking United Kingdom
  • 16 years ago

is there anything wrong with plugging a 10mbit card straight into a 100mbit card with vrossoever cable ?

today has been soo frustrating !

i networked 2 pc's together with crossover cable (direct net card -> net card link)

slackware on 1 pc, knoppix on the other.

i plugged them both up,
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 up (given to slackware)
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 up (given to knoppix)

i pinged slackware from knoppix, and vice versa.
    wrked PERFECT. ssh worked, telnet CUPS.
    all networking was fine...

so i rebooted the slackmachine into windows (dual boot)
    and... oops... it didnt work any-more.

and it hasnt since !

i booted linux up again... but nothing !

cant even ping !

when i plug the cables up, and un plug them, 'dmesg' knows that im plugging and un-pluggind.. it gives messages like "eth0 up, 10mbit half duplex" the card is a 100MBIT in slackware, but only 10 in the other machine, so i suppose its doing it for compatability.

whats gone wrong ?

are there issues with using crossover cable with network cards of different speeds ?

ive tested the cable, which works perfect on other machines that are already setup.

WHATS WRONG.. this is annoying the h3ll outa me.

any1 got any ideas ?

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I’ll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.” - Jamie Zawinski