Wireless Network Problem

networking United States
  • 16 years ago

Hello,
    I just bought a Microsoft base station (MN-700) which is a wireless / ethernet modem. You connect this modem to the back of your already hooked up cable modem, and then from the base station to the computer. I have never networked ANYTHING but I have an clue of how it goes.

Problem #1: I installed the modem on the desktop, and I have a Dell laptop with Dell TrueMobile 1300 (integraded device that picks up the signal from a wireless connection automaticaly). When I go to my friend's house, he has a Linksys wireless network and I have wirelessly connected to the internet a bunch of times. After installing and "configuring" the modem, my laptop picks up the signal and it states that I am connected with an excellent signal strength. HOWEVER I can not access the internet WHAT SO EVER.  My desktop computer is running XP Home and my laptop is running XP Professional. I went to my friend's house today and again, it picks up the signal. THIS TIME I couldn't access the internet at his house. Also on my desktop at home, the network status does not recognize my laptop (wirelessly).

I want the internet working and my desktop to recognize my laptop.
    If all I need to do is read a book about networking just tell me but the reason I posted this is because my latop DOES pick up the signal, but no internet.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks a lot to all of you - {veebeedotnet}

• 16 years ago

being connected to the network and accessing the internet via the network are completely different kettles of fish because a computer could be connected to a network BUT have its very own modem to connect to the internet with........... so you need to tell your computer if it has its own, or if it needs to access it via another computer on the network (probably using ICS - internet connection sharing)

the easiest way to do this if you're running XP is to go into control panel, networks (or whatever) and run the Network Setup Wizard (first on the comp WITH the internet connection, then on the one which wants a piece of it) on both computers, then it should work

• 16 years ago

From what I can read I guess you have the modem hooked up to the wireless router via Ethernet cable and the main desktop pc connected to the router via ethernet cable to the desktop? I am correct?

If so then you do not need internet sharing on the desktop you just need to allow the router to except the radio feq that you router is talking on.

I always hook it up like this:

Modem - Wireless Router/AP - Ethernet Cable to Desktop
                                             - Wireless Networking

• 16 years ago
    paulfp I already did that a few times, and still no luck.
    However, I FIXED THE PROBLEM by deleting all recognized wireless networks and the Network
    Bridge. As soon as i did that my laptop recognized the internet connection (through the desktop) and the desktop recognized my laptop as a part of the network.

Problem solved, thanks anyway for your help guys
  • 16 years ago
    hehe, dontcha just love/hate computers?

yeh it was probably some sort of conflict, or whatever, grrr i hate networks too

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Java is to JavaScript what Car is to Carpet.” - Chris Heilmann