GmailFS

networking United Kingdom
  • 16 years ago

Has any1 managed to get GmailFS working ???

after followubg the instructinos here
    http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html

i can mount GmailFS, and KDE reports its presence and size at 1000MB,
    however the firts time anything on the filesystem is accessed i get a "WARNING:root:Live Javascript and constants file versions differ." error.

and even as root i cannot read / write / delete/

first, i tried to upload an application called nvu (website design program based on mozilla) after a few seconds i got a write error.
    after re-mounting a folder called nvi shows, but i can not change directory into it, or delete it.

any1 else fixed such an error or have an idea as to the cause ?

JavaRE version 1.4.2.05 is installed and working.
    and all otehr packages (on the site) are the latest versions available.

update:
    I uploaded an mp3.... Before im Dead by The kidney thieves (best song ever.. its the one from Queen of the damned that plays while lestat and jesse walk of slowly while every1 else is in fast motion at the end of the film"

anyways.. it seemed to upload fine, then when i tried to pley it directly from its remote location with an mp3 plyer. the first few seconds play fiine.. then i get looads of errors in the console..

i know the software is buggy and only a version o.2 but it is supposed to be functional.

• 16 years ago

i'm quite interested by your comments in the other thread about encrypting it so they can't read you emails...... once you've got it all working you can let me know how to do this all with Mandrake 9.2

is it against their T&Cs to encrypt ur emails? it'd be quite funny if it isn't so their whole reason for letting you have a gig would be fatally flawed

• 16 years ago

Using GmailFS, you can start a local Proxie Server that allows you to use GMail through SMTP and POP interfaces (like with thunderbird)

i could then use the encrypt function that comes with almost every decent email application.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Memory is like an orgasm. It's a lot better if you don't have to fake it.” - Seymour Cray