Order of table processing in joins

• 16 years ago

Actually I'm accessing mySQL Table from Crystal Reports.
    One of report works in a strange fashion.
    The reason it the query passed to mySQL

The sample query is

SELECT c.action,c.datetime, b.collector, c, a.ddloc, a.debtorno
    FROM   c,b,a WHERE  (c.debtorno=b.debtorno)
    AND (c.debtorno=a.debtorno) AND b.collector='XA1' AND (c.datetime>={ts '2004-09-20 00:00:00'} AND c.datetime<{ts '2004-09-21 00:00:00'}) AND c.action='TA'

By explaining the query using "EXPLAIN" command, I got strange results.

During the first time it gives the folg. result

[Row,  table,  type,  possiblekeys,  key,  keylen,  ref,  rows,  Extra]
    1  a,  ALL,  <Null>,  <Null>,  <Null>,  <Null>,  4673841,  ,
    2  c,  ref,  debtorNoteDebtorNoIdx,dateIdx,actionIdx,  debtorNoteDebtorNoIdx,  6,  accounts.debtorno,  40,  Using where,
    3  b,  ref,  debtorDebtorNoIdx,collectorIdx,  debtorDebtorNoIdx,  7,  debtorNotes.debtor
    no,  10,  Using where,

If we try to execute the query, it's simply hung up.

while in the same hung up state, I tried to explain the same query using another instance. This time it displays

[Row,  table,  type,  possiblekeys,  key,  keylen,  ref,  rows,  Extra]
    1  b,  ref,  debtorDebtorNoIdx,collectorIdx,  collectorIdx,  4,  const,  4519,  Using where,
    2  c,  ref,  debtorNoteDebtorNoIdx,dateIdx,actionIdx,  debtorNoteDebtorNoIdx,  6,  debtors.debtorno,  40,  Using where,
    3  a,  ref,  accountDebtorNoIdx,  accountDebtorNoIdx,  7,  debtorNotes.debtor
    no,  1,  Using where,

And this time it displays the result in seconds. (first is still running)

My question is why the optimizer takes the order of tables differently each time
    If it runs the query in the second I'll get the result quickly.

Is there any way to force the optimizer to follow a particular order?

Note: All the joins in my query are inner join and the query is automatically generated from crystal.

Thanks in advance,
    harmonycitra

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Better train people and risk they leave – than do nothing and risk they stay.” - Anonymous