DHCP

• 16 years ago

Hello all. I am a vb.net programmer and know little about networking, however, since I'm the only IT person at my job, I have to deal with networking as well as programming.  Now, the problem that I am having is due to a new client that my company has just picked up.  This new client wants to have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) so that my company can run their company's greenscreen program.  However, our IP Addresses are the same as their IP Addresses, so their networking guy told me that I need to have Public IP Addresses so that I could connect to their network.  Currently my IP Address is automatically assigned (68.20.247.57).  It is assigned by a Windows 2000 server.  Now I've learned how to set up and manage a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server-I think.  I learned from this web site (http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6268-1041798.html).  

Is assigning Public IP Addresses from a DHCP server what I would do in order to complete this task for my company's new client?

What would I put for the scope of ip addresses that the server will manage?

How do I know the address of our default gateway, DNS Server and WINS server?

Thanks!

• 16 years ago
    what do you mean your IP addresses are the same as theirs ? there can only be one unique IP per machine on a network.

anyways.... if you have correctly setup the DHCP server, then u must already know your gateway, and DNS server (i dont know what a wins server is)
    the DHCP server tells other machines on the network this info... anyways....

anyways.. if you have any UNIX / Linux / BSD machines on the network, you can get them to report all the gateways they know about with the command "route" and you can get them to report all the DNS servers they know about with the command "cat /etc/resolv.conf"

(you will need sudo or root access to execute the route command)
  • 11 years ago
    if a dhcp server is failed then to whom dhcp clients will contact for any updations

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“XML is like violence - if it's not working for you, you're not using enough of it.”