Deploying SQL Server w/ VB

sql server United States
  • 19 years ago

Is there a way to package SQL Server (databases and any other necessary files) into my Visual Basic .exe so that it can be used on any machine?  That is, one without access to the database or SQL Server?  Assuming there would be no adding or deleting of records to any table.

• 19 years ago

No. SQL Server is not really designed for that sort of use... it would normally be located on a central server and accessed by client applications... and you would need sufficient licenses of SQL Server to cover the number of users connecting to the server...

• 19 years ago

There is an option though ... MSDE (Microsoft Data Engine).  This is to SQL server as Personal Web Server is to IIS.  It's distibutable with your applications and supports all standard SQL syntax for querying.  You can actually manage one of these databases using MS Access also so you don't need to use command line management or the SQL enterprise manager.  The main drawback to this is, limited connections ... they limit your concurrent connections to 5.  much like PWS is limited to about 5 to 10 or so.  

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind.” - Alan Kay