saving data from database to listboxes

databases United States
  • 19 years ago

I am fetching data from two different tables (one for studentID and StudentName; the other for StudentID and grades) to fill two listboxes on a form; the boxes have to be populated so that when you select a name from the combo box, you only see the grades for that student.  I am using DB.Execute with manual coding to access the database.  How do I save the data to a temporary variable so that I can make the listboxes work outside the connection?  Also, how do I manipulate the listproperties/listindex so the grades box will show only the grades for the studentname selected in the other box?

• 19 years ago

Why don't you just use one listbox, and one text box.  The listbox to list all the names and the text box to show the grade of the name you choose.  If you do it this way then you can use the CHANGE event for the listbox to query the database for the Grade of the selected Name.  Something like this:

Private Sub dlstName_Change()

Dim cmd As ADODB.Command, cnn As ADODB.Connection
    Dim a As ADODB.Recordset, st As String, found As Boolean
    Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection
    Set cmd = New ADODB.Command

If Not IsNull(dlstName) And dlstName <> Empty Then
       cnn.Open "Provider = SQLOLEDB ;PERSIST SECURITY INFO = FALSE;" & _
       "USER ID = sa;Initial catalog = timersql;" & _
       "INITIAL FILE NAME = C:\MSSQL7\Data\someDatabase.mdf"
       cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn
       cmd.CommandText = "spGetGradesforName"
       cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
       Set a = cmd.Execute(, CStr(dlstName))
       If Not a.EOF Then
           txtGrade = CStr(a!Grade)
       End If
    End If

End Sub

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Better train people and risk they leave – than do nothing and risk they stay.” - Anonymous