A Beinginer questions

databases United States
  • 19 years ago

I am just started on entry level programming.
    Well to the point,
    My company is a leasing company, and we have complicated visual basic c++ program written 3 years ago by a guy who is no longer working here. The program basically calculate the cost of leasing according to area etc. The program output shows the name of the tenants, the area its leasing, the cost etc.
    My boss just want these output to transfered to Microsoft access, so we can manipulate or edit data if we want to.  Also remeber that we have 100s of tenants. Any suggestions is welcome. Also remeber I am just  a  beginner in progamming. Please help me!!

• 19 years ago

a) is it Visual basic or C++ ? It can't be Visual Basic C++, as those are two different languages!
    b) source code...? how is the code accessing the database? (is ADO or DAO referenced in the project... go to Project|References to check)

• 19 years ago

It's is  (MICROSOFT DEVELOPER STUDIO 97 Professional version) Visual C++ Version 5.0, also I am trying to understand what is the differenece between ADO and DAO since their is no PROJECT|Reference, so do I need to learn how to open a project OR create a new project and add file?? .
    Also there are couple of database file with extension .pdb?? I don't know whether it would make any difference or not!!!

Again thanks for help, I am just beginner so any help is ok!!!

• 19 years ago

In which case, I'm afraid I can't help you.... I don't know Visual C++ :-(

• 19 years ago

I sure hope this programmer leaving your company left the source codes there...

Instead of altering the existing sourcecode you might consider "hacking" (No James, I'm not suggesting anything illegal here ;-)  know you don't like that... neither do I)  these databases with a sophisticated database management program.

IT security auditors often use these kind of tools, I've got a couple of them myself as well... We used to use them exactly in situations like yours... Lots of data and no way to get them exported using the normal program...

You'd just have to send one of the database files to anyone having such a tool. If you want, I could give it a try...

The decision to send data like that over the Web or to find a reliable consulting company is up to you... Need any help, just let me know...

Regards,

Thamar.

• 19 years ago

Than could please help me if you like to!! The program work great only things you have to do is take data and transfer to  microsoft access 2000. But there are several visual c++ files.
    If you have im please let me know so we can chat!

• 19 years ago

Also there is a program database file with exestion .pdb. Also I am preety new to visual basic concept because until in the school I was working on Borland C++
    If you have im please let me know so we can chat!

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC. As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.” - E. W. Dijkstra