Connecting to server

networking United States
  • 15 years ago

Hi friends,

I've a strange problem. I have a server(win 2k) with the name SERVER and clients (XP, ME, 2000 Prof and 2000 Server). From the server i can able to connect to any client.

But from the client i cannot connect to server( when i issue \SERVER) displaying cannot be accessed. Network Path cannot be found).
    I've one web application in the server. If i run that application, its working fine.

If i issue \SERVER\sharedfoldername

its displaying the contents.

But i can not logon to server(cannot validate your password, even the password is correct)

Our internet also got problem. May be because of that. very very slow. connecting and disconnecting.

what could be the problem?

thanks in advance.

• 15 years ago

Quote:
    [1]Posted by rajanik on 27 Apr 2005 04:15 AM[/1]
    Hi friends,

I've a strange problem. I have a server(win 2k) with the name SERVER and clients (XP, ME, 2000 Prof and 2000 Server). From the server i can able to connect to any client.

But from the client i cannot connect to server( when i issue \SERVER) displaying cannot be accessed. Network Path cannot be found).
    I've one web application in the server. If i run that application, its working fine.

If i issue \SERVER\sharedfoldername

its displaying the contents.

But i can not logon to server(cannot validate your password, even the password is correct)

Our internet also got problem. May be because of that. very very slow. connecting and disconnecting.

what could be the problem?

thanks in advance.

Hi,

1) Was it working before ?

2) have you virus checked all workstations and server with up to date software ?

3) have you checked for spyware with Ad-aware or similar ?

Denis

• 15 years ago

hello,

thanx for the reply.

its working fine prev. all workstatios are free from virus and adware.

what could be the problem.

• 15 years ago

I think I would switch everything (workstations, server, routers, etc) off. Leave off for five minutes. Then bring up one by one, starting with routers, then server, then one worstation at a time. and see if problem reoccurs. Test each as they come up.

• 15 years ago

Problem 1: This is likely not a networking problem, your machines can obviously see each other and connect to mapped resources. Your problem is logging onto the server as a user, which suggests one of 2 common problems, both of which are administrative.

1. You do not have the user account set up properly on your server. Ensure that the account exists on the server, and that you are using the correct spelling and case for the username and password.
    2. You are using a local account on a computer to try to log into an account with the same name on the server. An account with the name "Administrator" on a client computer is a completely different administrator account than "Administrator" on the server, unless you have set up your network as a domain and are logging into domain accounts. Otherwise, you will probably need to specify Computername\Username in the username field when logging into a remote computer or it will try to log in using the local account, which will result in the problem you are having.

Problem 2: You don't give nearly enough info to troubleshoot this problem. Useful information would be what you have in your protocol stack; how you are sharing the connection; etc.

• 15 years ago

hello,

Now i can able to access internet. But i cannot able to connect new computer to the network coz its not recognising the domain.

as i said, i 've one w2k server as a client also. when i goto control panel/admin tools/computer management and choose Connect to another computer.
    in the list its showing the server name. if i click OK displaying ...

server.tom.com cannot be managed. And Win32 RPC server is not available

i tried already all the ways(switching off all and on).

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Perl - The only language that looks the same before and after RSA encryption.” - Keith Bostic