Solution: automated table clearing

databases Poland
  • 19 years ago

A very simple solution to clear MS-Access '97 and 2000 tables:

Create a form with a combobox called "boxTables" and a button called "btnClearTable", then add the next code to the form:

Option Compare Database

Private Sub Form_Activate()
       [boxTables].RowSourceType = "Value List"
       For Each Item In Application.CurrentDb.tabledefs
           [boxTables].RowSource = [boxTables].RowSource & ";" & Item.Name
       Next
    End Sub

Private Sub btnClearTable_Click()
       Dim strSQL As String
       For Each Item In Application.CurrentDb.tabledefs
           DoCmd.SetWarnings warningsoff
           If Item.Name = [boxTables].Value Then
               strSQL = "DELETE " & [boxTables].Value & ".* FROM " & _
                 [boxTables].Value & ";"
               DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
           End If
           DoCmd.SetWarnings warningson
       Next
    End Sub

BE CAREFUL! This thing will delete everything in th table so be sure to pick the right table name from the combobox...

I would recommend including an "are-u-sure" messagebox...

If anyone has a better solution, please let me know.

Regards,

Thamar.

• 19 years ago

Would you like to have this code properly published on DeveloperFusion.com? If so, visit the members area

• 19 years ago

*Side note:   The above code is VBA and should be put in a VBS module directly in Access as DoCmd is unavailable in VB

• 19 years ago

...you're right, Daryll, I forgot about that. Since I'm still all the time working with VBA 6 I got used to those DoCmd functions.

How to translate that to VB? I only got VB 5.0 and it's not working as it should (crashing all the time under WinNT 4.0 WS)...  :-(

And yes, please James, but how to get it there, and isn't that a bit simple routine to publish? I think anyone could have thought that up...

Regards,

Thamar

• 19 years ago

Even simple things like that are worth publishing... it will save someone a few precious minutes, or show a beginner how to solve their problem :-) Any code submitted via the system will be evaluated by me first anyway... only code I think is worth publishing will be published :-)

• 19 years ago

To 'get it there', log in, and then click Add Resource on the left hand navigation bar (or at the top of every page)

• 19 years ago

I'll do that a little later today, gotta run now 'cause I gotta call my girlfriend, and I've got only one phone line :-( Waiting for my permanent connection for 3 months now...

BTW: You got mail... :-)

Later,

Thamar

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.”