Linksys Wireless G connection issue

networking United States
  • 15 years ago

Hi,

I need help with an issue on my first attempt at setting up a semi wireless network. Semi because I have two pc's a desktop and a laptop. The desktop is connected to the router via and ethernet connection and the laptop is connected via wireless.  

I have an NTL Cable modem with a broadband 3meg connection. This is connected to a P4 Desktop running Windows XP via a USB cable.

Before connecting the Linksys Wireless-G 2.4ghz Broadband router everthing works fine. The connection is setup as follows;l

Desktop - Router via Ethernet cable
    Router - Cable modem via Ethernet cable
    Desktop - Cable modem via USB

When I switch everthing on, it all seems to connect ok. But I have two issues. Firstly when the ethernet connection is made to the router from the laptop, I cannot connect to the internet in any shape or form, this means that i can't complete the setup process because the router can't connect to the internet either. The other issue is that although i've named the two computers in the same work group the Laptop can't access any files on the desktop. I mostly wanted this for printing etc and to connect to internet.

I've tried to set it all up using the laptop with the physical connection and this gives some sort of clue as to why it doesn't work. In the network connections window, something called Internet gateway pops up and goes immediately to disabled as soon as the ethernet cable from the pc is plugged in. I try enabling it, but it never works.

I've messed about with the settings on this connection but can't get it to work. Spent three days with this so would appreciate any help offered.

• 15 years ago
    Hi Celstick

1)  will NTL accept multiple simoultaneous connections ? Not all ISP's will but I think NTL will. I have set up one of my NTL customers with a router and multiple connections and it works.

2) now I suggest the following

a) unplug router and plug one pc into modem and ensure connection still works.
             b) then plug router into modem and plug same pc into router and see if it works.
                 You will need to run IE connection setup and tell it that you are connecting to BB via a LAN

A thought - what are you doing about IP numbers and gateway ip ?

c) then plug next PC into router with unique IP number in same range and do as b)

Also what router port are you connecting to modem ?

In conclusion I think you have conflict of IP numbers and wrong gateway ip

If you are in UK and this does not work then email me privately your phone number and I'll try and ring tomorrow.

• 15 years ago

Hi guys, I've moved this topic into Hardware & OS / Networking as that seems a little more appropriate - it doesn't have much to do with DeveloperFusion news

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“XML is like violence - if it's not working for you, you're not using enough of it.”