internet sharing on LAN

networking Singapore
  • 15 years ago

i have a problem.. i hv 5 computers one connected to BroadBAND with a lan card with IP 192.168.1.11 with subnet mask defauly gateway 192.168.1.1 (IP of the router/modem)  and DNS etc. internet is wroking properly on this computer. on the same computer

another lan card with IP 192.168.0.1 is installed on this computer wichj make it part of the lan.. other computers hv ips as 192.168.0.2  3 4  5 etc.. with default gateway as 192.168.0.1

now the problem is that even i hv checked the option of share this internet connection on the WAN but still i am unable to share the internet on the other computers on LAN..

plz help me..

Aloha

• 15 years ago
    Quote:

mask defauly gateway 192.168.1.1

another lan card with IP 192.168.0.1 is installed on this computer wichj make it part of the lan.. other computers hv ips as 192.168.0.2  3 4  5 etc.. with default gateway as 192.168.0.1

Ip number of gateway must gateway ip, ie 192.168.1.1

Other ips need to be in 192.169.1.xx range unless you have non standard mask.

• 15 years ago

thank alot

• 15 years ago

I've been having trouble setting up the IPs manually on my girlfriend's mac.... a bit embarassing since I work for the Uni of Liverpool sorting out the internet connections in their halls of residence!

It's all slightly different from Windows and is being incredibly annoying... connected to the network fine, with a strong(-ish) signal... just can't configure it and DHCP was failing too. Humph. Looks like I'll have some fun tonight after I've done some work... playing with a Mac. woo.

Anyone here know much about Mac networking? Surely it's not rocket science and I'm just a tard

• 15 years ago

Hi Paul

What version of mac hardware and OS is it ? I have done some in past and will try and rack enough grey cells into life to remember, if you let me know.

Have fun

• 15 years ago
    Cheers mate, but I fixed it this afternoon. It was quite surreal - they were filming Hollyoaks on my road and in the music shop round the corner, so I went in and bought a homer simpson plectrum, and whilst I was in there they went "action!" and everyone started clapping, so I clapped as well until they said "cut" and then i chuckled and went out

so, anyway, yeah i was doing it right after all, just the router wasnt connected to the internet - rebooted the modem and router and all is good now (i must have been tired last night, forgetting to do that! hehehe)
  • 15 years ago
    Quote:

just the router wasnt connected to the internet - rebooted the modem and router and all is good now

..... never quite understood why routers (and computers) don't do what we want, rather than what we tell them..

Glad to hear it is working.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Java is to JavaScript what Car is to Carpet.” - Chris Heilmann