IIS 5.1 [RESOLVED - it was skype messing it up]

• 15 years ago

I've been trying to set up IIS to work on my new computer... however once installing it, I noticed that the default web site had the red "STOP" icon next to it, and when I tried to start it, I kept getting the error "Unexpected Error 0x8ffe2740 Occurred".

A little Google researching led me to this page: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816944 so I thought that maybe because of being connected to the internet via a router that was causing problems? So I set IIS to use port 85 instead, which lets me start the server fine with no errors.... except when I go to http://localhost I get a 404 error....

(My home directory is D:\wwwroot and this is correctly set up in IIS...)

Now i'm presuming my problem lies somewhere with my having selected port 85, as I did kinda pick that randomly as I don't know a huge amount about ports.......

any help would be appreciated

• 15 years ago
    ah yes, another Skype user I presume?

Skype by default (hmmm) uses 80 to listen for incoming calls, so yes your right in changing the port, maybe choose something totally random like 69 or 1984 etc that you know for sure isnt being used.

now about the 404s, best thing to do is to enable "directory browsing" (Home Directory Tba) and make sure you get a file listing, if you do it just means that theres no default document specified in the file list, so you being a PHP guy you'd add default.php or index.php to the default document list (Documents Tab)
  • 15 years ago

hey, thanks for that (silly skype)

i do have default documents already set, and even if i specifiy complete URLs to files it still doesn't work i still get 'the page cannot be found' errors

anything else I can check?

• 15 years ago

sorted it - got rid of skype (hardly use anyway) and reinstalled IIS

• 15 years ago

ah cool. sorry df replies dont seem to come to my inbox anymore... might be the filtering rules i've configured  so i didnt see your earlier post

• 15 years ago

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“C++ : Where friends have access to your private members.” - Gavin Russell Baker