Help with wireless please!!

• 15 years ago

ok here i go.. i just bought a new ADSL wirleess router.. a D-Link DSL-G604T shown here if you want to have a look!

well anyway.. ive got two computers my laptop and the family PC.. the PC connects to the router through an ethernet cable and this allows it to connect to the internet fine [the router conects to my phone line and acts as a broadband modem]

yeah so that pc is fine as it involves wires, the laptop though uses the wireless adapter provided with the router, this is where the problem occurs:

- It will  find and connect to the network
    - It will not allow me to connect to the internet including msn and other things
    - It will not allow me to share files with the pc [not really needed but it should be able to anyway ]

Please help me on this, just write back if you need more info on this or anything.. i just need to know why the web cant be accessed wirelessley

Thanks in advance!!

• 15 years ago
    Have you set up encryption on the network to stop unauthorised access? You can set up both 64bit and 128bit encryption, and use a passphrase which will be encrypted and then be the key for wireless access to the network. Also, you can allow access to the network on a per-MAC address basis, so check the settings there too.

I notice you live in Liverpool! If you want, one of us can come and set it up for you... check out our poster at http://www.caeus.com/poster.pdf

If you need any help just phone or email the address on the poster, and we can come and help you out.
  • 15 years ago

Yeah ive got some 256bit encryption with a mac adress allowing it access too.. emr how much would you charge me [student] to come along and set it all up?

Im in Runcorn, its right near liverpool you probably know it!?

And it would be ace if somebody could do that!!

Karl

• 15 years ago

Yes I know Runcorn - although admittedly more for Two Pints than anything else In fact me and my girlfriend managed to get tickets to go and see it being filmed in London, sadly we can't make it though!

We only usually service to people within Liverpool, but we'd be happy to come to Runcorn, although you would have to pay for our transport I'm afraid.

Student rates for setting up the network are as follows:

Callout fee: £5 (I'd be happy to waive that, since you're already paying for transport).

Network and router setup is only £10, with the first PC included in that for FREE, and additional computers are £5 each

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why.”