Naivete

access United States
  • 19 years ago

Dear Colleagues

I am completely new to VB/ASP/SQL/Access.

However, I am writing for a little advice. I have a 2-3,000 mailing list (e.mail addresses) on my hard drive (in a very basic Access database).

Every month I need to e.mail the recipients and wonder if I may use VB/ASP/SQL or whatever in a way which allows me to send off the messages quicker than I manage to do at the moment.

URLs related to this and which could, maybe, explain more would be welcome.

Many thanks

Steve Higham
    [email protected]

• 19 years ago

First of all, where do u host ur server and what kind of facilities software you had? Exchange? NT?

• 19 years ago

Thank you for your reply.

I have a Web hosting servive with Impacthosting (in New Jersey - I am in the UK). They do not support NT.

To send off my e.mails to my mailing list I go into their site (where I have an e.mail box as part of the hosting service) and send them from there - about 15 e.mails at a time (which takes me a week or so to send off 2-3000 messages).

I use Windows 95, but will upgrade in the next week or two to Windows 98.

I hope you can help and, once again, I thank you for taking the time to assist.

Yours sincerely,

STEVE HIGHAM

• 19 years ago

Personally i think non NT based services integrated with MS Access based databases is abit hard, but does the server have any Windows APi supporting?

Else there is no way to integrate, else i cant help out with Unix server sendmail services.

• 19 years ago

Hello Neo

My hosting service tells me that ASP is OK.
    Does this help?

Steve

• 19 years ago

Then ask them whether the Access components had it inside the server (whether they support it)? Or maybe u shall ask whether have MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Component) inside? coz without that, u only can run ASP but no related db for ur web application.

• 19 years ago

Hello Neo, Thanks again for your reply.

Yes, the hosting service does support ASP scripts AND database access. Does this help?

Steve  

• 19 years ago

You need to know if your host also supports cdonts or some other email component. With asp and dataccess you can get the info from the database but you need the cdonts (or other) to send a mail to each person in the db.
    There is also a danger that your isp will not appreciate you sending 2000 mails as it will be done through their server.
    To learn more about mailing in an asp page :-

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/012400-1.shtml

This article is on 4guys and you can learn alot about data access on this site too. Try doing searches for email etc.

• 19 years ago

Hello Musician

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply to my message.

I have bookmarked the 4 guys site and saved the articles about creating a mailing list. I will contact the ISP when I have digested the 4 guys information.

It is through people like you that people like me get to become like you.

I offer my sincerest thanks.

Steve

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” - Brian Kernighan