synchronising an Access database with an online mySQL one

• 14 years ago

Hi there

I have a problem. I have a set of tables stored in an Access database. This database is read and written to from Excel using an ADODB connection via Visual Basic macros.

The same data is stored online in mySQL. At present, to synchronise the data, it has to be translated into a set of SQL commands which are executed by creating a PHP script which is uploaded and then run from the server, because I can only connect locally.

What I would like to do is connect directly to the SQL database and send the update and insert commands that I send to Access to MySQL at the same time. My ISP does not allow an ODBC, but what they say is:

"You do not need to add use an ODBC connection if you specify a connection which references the database direct rather than via an ODBC Data Source Name. StreamlineNet recommend that you do this by using Microsoft's ADO (ActiveX Data Objects) interface to access OLE DB drivers. This method is know as a /DSNLESS connection."

I have no idea how to do this, or if it will do what I want. Any help gratefully received.

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“C++: an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.” - Steve Taylor