Windows 2000 and XP networking issue

networking Singapore
  • 14 years ago

Hello Friends
    I have a network in my office on work group and it is on 100 mbps switch. Main PC is running Windows 2000 Pro. and it share the internet connection with other computers running windows 2000 professional.

My problem is that recently i have changed the OS on one desktop computer to XP. it can access only a few (2) computers on the network> funny thing is i am able to use the internet from the amin computer but drive sharing is not working and i can't see the main computer on my workgroup and also my computer(XP) is not visible via anyone.

Please help i am in mess

Aloha

• 14 years ago

Hi,

I don't think that the problem is caused by the fact of different operating systems because we have the save heterogeneous platform and every thing is working fine.

But the only logical reason is that after you changed the operating system you didn't connect your computer to company workgroup or domain (or the group name is misspelled). This will cause similar problem, and I face it when I connect my laptop to my company network where I can use Internet, See every bodies' computer (using my domain password of course), but no one can see me.

So try to recheck the group name on your computer and on other computers.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC. As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.” - E. W. Dijkstra