Statistics explained.

• 14 years ago

Hi!

I have a problem regarding the research that I am conducting. This is about the emarketers report.

eMarketer reports various ways that people find websites :

78% Search Engines
    62% Other Pages

53% Friends, Relatives

44% Print Media
    6% Usenet
    6% Email
    2% Television

From the statistics above I do not understand how the have computed the results. I mean, when I total all of this, the total would be 251. It is suppose to be 100. Please help me how they had computed this one or how they get this statistics to come up with this number. Or how can I covert this statistics so that the total would be 100.

Thanks in advance.

Noel

• 14 years ago

I would assume that either these results are biased, or that they are not independent. In other words, someone could hear about a website from a friend then enter it into a search engine and it still comes up. In this case, that would make a difference.

There is no way to convert them so that they add to 100% without the original data.

• 14 years ago

Shofe,

I think PCMATTMAN is right and there is no way to convert the results so that they add up to 100% unless you have access to the original data.

I think the reason that the results are like this is because of how they are gathered, the people being questioned have been given the option of choosing more than one method.  Someething like:

Which of the following methods do you use to find web sites? (Tick all that apply)
    Search Engines
    Websites
    Friends, Relatives etc........

In order for the results to total 100% the survey would have had to limit people to only one choice, for instance with the use of option buttons instead of checkboxes.

• 14 years ago
    maybe some people find the web site by more than one means...?
  • 14 years ago

Thanks I guys! I got your point. Thank you very much...

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“There are only two kinds of languages: the ones people complain about and the ones nobody uses” - Bjarne Stroustrup