I would like to write text held in a database direct to a web page

• 14 years ago
    Hi, I'm fairly new to Web Design. I've created a couple of simple sites using pure CSS -I like the look but they both seem to die in IE7 but are fine in IE6, dont know why still we live and breath - I have been asked to design a web site who's function will be to allow a viewer to select a type of job, then see the qualifications they will need and cooments relating to experience, and then to see links to where they can - or how they can - obtain the neeeded qualifications. Simple??The client wants the page to contain static text and active text and they want the active text to be formatted exactly like the static text. I'm hoping I will be able to upload memo fields from a database - the client uses Access - and dump them into the page. I'm not sure of the best approach to this problem and I am hoping those of a greater skill and intelligence than I (have I grovelled enough) will be able to offer some much need advise and direction. I understand, sort off VB, and own a few books on ASP, I've also looked quickly at VB.net then turned the other way. Is anyone willing to assist/advise me please.
  • 14 years ago

You have to use a server side technology to manipulate pages on the server and access a database so you can choose
    1-Microsoft >> asp.net using vb or c# (classic asp is too outdated)
    2- lunix >> php
    3- cold fusion (Macromedia - now owned by adobe) not recomended by me

If your not a microsoft hater I would suggest asp.net as it has serpassed the other technologies in many ways and if it's an access DB then .net is built to work with it. You can begin by downloading the FREE microsoft web developement program "web express" from www.asp.net and read the tutorials etc.

It's not a simple task if your just learning data driven web apps but you could probably hack something together in a few days/week if you where really committed and they didn't need anything fancy.

Let us know if you take up the challenge

Regards

Brin

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“God could create the world in six days because he didn't have to make it compatible with the previous version.”