pass data to a normal html page

• 19 years ago

I want to do this, but using client side JavaScript inside an HTML document, not a server-side ASP.

<%

Dim versionNumber

versionNumber = Trim(Request.QueryString("version"));

%>

so basically I want to know the JavaScript equivilant of VBScript's Requst.QueryString() thingummy-bob.

I want to do something like this: www.something.com/hello.html?this=that and display something different depending on the value of "that"

I can do it in ASP and PHP but have never needed to do it in bog-standard html be4. the target server is a cheapo one.

thanx

• 19 years ago

hi
    i just read your post today.. so sorry for delay.

the part that you write after a ?..=...
    i gues you know its data passed by GET method.. these are contents of forms generally passed .aslo know as url rewriting.. you always pass get paramters to a program and never to a HTML page..
    baically a programming langugae on the server side is rewuired to use these values you pass.and do something with them..
    a simple HTLM page (with jaavascript in it) is used to only display data.. it cannot manipulate these get  parameters..

at least thats what i feel..if u ever get a way to do this..pl pl do tell me...

-kiran

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Debugging is anticipated with distaste, performed with reluctance, and bragged about forever.” - Dan Kaminsky