Finding the last updated record

• 13 years ago
    Hi All,

I have a problem.
    When my user updates his/her profile, I have a stored proc which updates a datetime field, which contains the date the profile was last modified.
    What I now need is a way using t-sql that I can pull the row from the table, where the datetime field is closest to the current system time.

Anyone have any ideas how I could do this?
    And also what possible implications could their be if 2 or more users were to update their profile at the exact same time?

Kind Regards
    Mick

• 13 years ago

I figured it:

SELECT TOP 1 * FROM table_name WHERE modified_datetime_column_name < CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ORDER BY modified_datetime_column_name DESC; 
  • 13 years ago

Aye, to things about your solution, 1 it'll always return just 1 user, no matter if multiple users updated their profile at once. 2. all the dates will be < current_timestamp, since they were all made in the past, not the future (unless they can time travel) so that statement is overkill.

i would rephrase the query to SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE modified_datetime = (SELECT TOP 1 modified_datetime FROM table_name ORDER BY modified_datetime DESC;);

subquery returns last date and then main query returns all records matching that date

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of whether submarines can swim.” - Edsger W. Dijkstra