Date Calculations in Access

• 13 years ago

Hi There

I'm not really a developer - I just dabble to help me with my day job! I'm trying to do some VBA code which includes updating a date field in an existing table. I extract the date from another table (field in this source table defined as Short Date format) then use DateAdd to Subtract 2 days from it in VBA. Having done this I then use an SQL staement to update the Field with this calculated value in my existing table (Field format also = Short Date). When I watch the variable during theVBA run it shows as a Data Type = Date and the date shown is correct. After the SQL runs to update the table with this value however  and I look at the values added to the table they are in time rather than date format.  For instance when i try to update the Field to 15/06/2007 what actually appears is 00:01:48.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong gratefully accepted!

• 13 years ago
    Hi John
     If you set the DataType as Date/Time (ShortDate) in the Access Table then it wont show Date and Time inside the Aceess DB(query shown records). I also checked in my Access File. Where is this problem you are facing, i mean in the DB itself or your coding(FrontEnd). If you are facing in the FrontEnd then which lang are you using...give me some more details to resolve your problem.

I may be also your Regional setting problem...check you Regional Settings in the Control Panel.

Good Luck

Regards

Hari K.....

• 13 years ago

Hi Hari

Not sure if this helps. This is my VBA code. The date that comes out of Record 0 in Table [Act Update] is 18/06/2007. The Value for Right_Date then = 15/06/2007 - which is what I expected. When I open the Table and view the field "Referral Creation Date" in Table [New Referrals] after it has been updated by the code below the value that appears in the Field isn't 15/06/2007 as I expected but "00:01:48"

Dim cnnX As ADODB.Connection

Dim MyRecordSet As New ADODB.Recordset

Dim Extract_Date As Date

Dim Right_Date As Date

Set cnnX = CurrentProject.Connection

MyRecordSet.ActiveConnection = cnnX

MyRecordSet.Open "[Act Update]"

MyRecordSet.MoveFirst

Extract_Date = MyRecordSet.Fields(0).Value

Right_Date = DateAdd("d", -1, Extract_Date)

DayofWk = Weekday(Right_Date, 2)

If DayofWk = 7 Then

Right_Date = DateAdd("d", -2, Right_Date)

ElseIf DayofWk = 6 Then

Right_Date = DateAdd("d", -1, Right_Date)

End If

DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE [New Referrals] SET [New Referrals].[Referral Creation Date] =" & Right_Date

Thanks for your help!

John T

• 13 years ago
    Hi John
     Try to update this method... and verify the DataType of "Referal Creation Date"

DoCmd.RunSQL "Update [New Referrals] Set [Referral Creation Date]=#" & Format(Right_Date,"dd/MMM/yyyy") & "#"

I hope this may solve your problem.

Good Luck

Regards
    Hari K......

• 13 years ago

Hi Hari

Tried that and it worked a treat - thanks very much for your help. Saved me from giving up!

All the best

John

• 13 years ago
    Hai John
     One more thing i need to say... Whenever you are going to Insert/Update/Delete in the table with DataType as Date, better to use triple M format (ex: "dd/MMM/yyyy").
    When you use this format this wont raise any Casting error whatever DB(SQL/Oracle) if your using...

Take Care...Keep in touch...

Hari K......

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“The trouble with programmers is that you can never tell what a programmer is doing until it's too late.” - Seymour Cray