ASP.NET/SQL Express database on ISP

db , sql server London, United Kingdom
  • 13 years ago

hello,I just uploaded my site designed using VWD 2005 Express and a database in SQL Express instance to my ISP but I cant seem to access my database and  the technicians do not have a cue as to how i can setup the db or how to assist me in doing so.

Each time I try to do anything that requires my db being accessed,I come up with a /Server application error or Internal server error 500.

Please could someone tell me how to set up my db on my ISP(1and1.co.uk)

NB: its all created in ASP.NET,VB language.

ThanksBig Smile [:D]

• 13 years ago

The techs should give you a connection string or a server, password and user / pass

Can they support SQL Server. 

Best bet is that they give you a blank db and you can script your db for the blank database.

Look at the MS Database Publishing wizard to script your db.

• 13 years ago

The web service name couldnt be resolved and my ISP: 1and1.co.uk has no clue. Please someone help before I bust up my PC.

• 13 years ago

I went to their site.

http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/MsHosting;jsessionid=1C50ED4D1A49D17218179818291BD798.TC30b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

It does not look like they offer sql2005 express. So if you got their Home plan it does not look like you can have any type of a database. But if you got their Business plan you can have Access and MS SQL. So if you got the business plan then tell them that you would like them to attach your sql express database onto their SQL server for you.  

So if you have the Business plan and they can attach your SQL Express database. You will have to then change your connection string so it will connect to their SQL Server. Now I do not know if you are keeping your connections string on each page or in your web.Config file.

Anyway your first step is to see if you can even have a database with the plan you paid for?

PS: I find it really poor for any ISP to not be able to help you on this. They should know what type of service you paid for and should know how to help you.

• 13 years ago
    IApart from the helpful suggestions above, I would consider moving hosts. There are plenty of top quality sql server hosts. A good one is http://www.vianetworks.net

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Anyone who considers arithmetic methods of producing random digits is, of course, in a state of sin.” - John von Neumann