How do I refer to a SQL query like I would a table?

access , db Sydney, Australia
  • 13 years ago

How do I use a select query in MS Access's VB 6 to find a value, and refer to it in VB code like a table?

I've gotten around the problem by creating a report that has a query as it's record source, but that only allows me to use the Access Queries, not VB's SQL. Not only does it not let me use SQL SELECT in VB code, it makes for a very messy Access database.

Function Reset__Visitor_Number()

Dim SQL As String
        Dim VisitorMin As Integer 'smallest call number allowed
        Dim VisitorMax As Integer 'largest call number allowed

'I need to use SQL SELECT WHERE for the next two lines, but how?
        VisitorMin = Table![ClassCodes]![RangeFrom] '(where Code = Visitor)
        VisitorMax = Table![ClassCodes]![RangeTo] '(where Code = Visitor)

DoCmd.SetWarnings False

If DMax("[Visitors]![Call Number]", "[Visitors]") + 1 < (VisitorMin - 0.1) Then
                'if adding 1 to the visitor call number will be under the minimum then set it to the minumum and stop
                SQL = "UPDATE [Visitors] SET [Visitors].[Call number] = " & VisitorMin
                DoCmd.RunSQL SQL

DoCmd.SetWarnings True
                Exit Function
            End If

If DMax("[Visitors]![Call Number]", "[Visitors]") + 1 < (VisitorMax + 0.1) Then
                'if adding 1 to the visitor call number will be under the maximum, then add 1
                SQL = "UPDATE Visitors SET Visitors.[Call number] = [Visitors]![Call number] + 1"
                DoCmd.RunSQL SQL
                    Else
                    'otherwise, if the call number + 1 is over the maximum, set it to the minimum
                    SQL = "UPDATE [Visitors] SET [Visitors].[Call number] = " & VisitorMin
                    DoCmd.RunSQL SQL
            End If

DoCmd.SetWarnings True

End Function

• 13 years ago

Access actually uses VBA and not VB6.  

I would tend to use DAO to do this type of thing. If you choose this method, make sure that you've added a reference to  the DAO object library in Tools > References. Heres an example of some code:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb243786.aspx 

• 13 years ago

I realise that this comment may be waaaaaayyyyy to late, but if its still an outstanding problem, could you just type in an english statement of what you're trying to acheive here - without code. Sometimes, code can make the problem you are trying to solve 'more' complicated.

Joe 

• 13 years ago

No problem. I have found a way around it, but it is very, very slow. I use it when cross-referancing two tables, by using an ID from one table (student info) to make a SQL Select Where for another table (print options for the name tag, etc, based on the ID).

If I use SQL Select Where, and refer to a unique key, I get one record. How do I transfer one column from that query to a variable in VB? For now, I've found a way around it, but I know there has to be a better way (I just haven't found it!).

If I use SQL Insert, Select Where, I can add only the record I want into an empty table. If I refer to that table on a report (or form), I can take the data off the report and put it into a variable.

• 13 years ago

If I understand you correctly, you have a select statement that returns a single row. In that row you want to access a particular columns value and you want to be able to do that in Access as a function call. Yes?

Joe 

Something like this will work:

Function GetLastName(ByVal EmployeeID As String) As String

Dim sql As String

If EmployeeID = "" Or Not IsNumeric(EmployeeID) Then
            EmployeeID = "0"
        End If

sql = "SELECT Employees.FirstName, Employees.LastName "
        sql = sql + "FROM Employees "
        sql = sql + "WHERE (((Employees.EmployeeID)=" & EmployeeID + "));"

Dim rs As Recordset
        Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(sql)

If Not rs.EOF Then
            GetLastName = rs("LastName").Value
            rs.Close
        Else
            GetLastName = "unknown"
        End If

End Function

• 13 years ago

Thank you! I've been looking for this for months. As a note, the +'s should be &'s for Access.

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.”