How can i use use the database(SQL Server) installed on another pc

• 13 years ago

Hi,

I have two machines well connected(LAN).  On machine 1 i have installed SQL Server 2000 along with VS 2005. And on machine 2 I have installed VS 2005.

- I want to use the database installed on machine 1......how it is possible?

- what all the rights machine 1 needs to give......and what all need to be done on machine 2?

Regards,

Royal

• 13 years ago

As far as I am aware you need to install the "server" edition on one of your machins.The (normal) developer sql server is a local sql instance, and to my knowledge does not enable you to 'serve' other machines, only the local one.

If you have the sql server, server edition, then its simply "machine name\instance name" for the server name

Hope this helps,

Joe

• 13 years ago

Thanks Joe

Regards,

Royal

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“C++ : Where friends have access to your private members.” - Gavin Russell Baker