VB.NET with a classic VB Com Object + install

• 13 years ago

I have to install a piece of software that is newly coded in VB. But it uses a classic vb COM DLL that I do not have the code for. This classic COM object uses the COMDLG32.OCX (FRAMEWORK). I have one computer with it set up on it and running but I we're upgrading and it's my  task to move this to another machine. I'm unable to install a working version.

I've checked the reg and I found a folder under CurrentUser >> Software >> Microsoft >> windows>> currentversion >> explorer >> COMDLG32. this folder has keys for all the software involved. But it doesn't exist on the new server. My question is if there is a piece of software to register all the current software to the COM object in this manner.

Chauncey

• 13 years ago

Spoke to a friend of mine about this and he recons you should be able to transfer the COM services relatively easily:

[quote]in component services just left click and "Export"
    you can choose to have it installed in full on the target or just a proxy
    the calls will actually be "forwarded" to the current machine[/quote]

Been a long time since I've been into COM so can't comment appropriately myself.

Joe 

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind.” - Alan Kay