Purge Data

access , db Neyyāttinkara, India
  • 13 years ago

I am using a temporary table to hold data whilst I use code to manipulate the data.  As the code populates the table and then deletes the data in a loop the size of the database climbs.  Once the database gets over 1 GB it falls over. I can only reopen the database if I compact and repair it.

Does anyone know any code to compact the database on the fly whilst it is still open?

• 13 years ago

Never tried this. Biggest access file I ever worked on was 350MB, and that was tooooooo big. Suggestion: move it somewhere else.

However, as to your question:

Note In Microsoft Access, you can compact a database while it is open, as long as the database has been opened exclusively.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288631

code:

Dim db As New DAO.DBEngine()
    'CompactDatabase has two parameters, creates a copy of compact DB at the Destination path
    db.CompactDatabase(File_Path, compact_file)

dunno what's going to happen if the File_Path and the compact_file is the same, whilst you're still "open" .. but you can always give it a shot (after backing up first)

Good luck.

Joe 

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“There are only 3 numbers of interest to a computer scientist: 1, 0 and infinity”