replace text in an opened file

• 18 years ago

Hi,
    Can someone help me here?  I am opening a word doc and trying to replace a text in the document.  For eg: I found the word 'hello' and I want to replace it with 'hi'.  How do I do it?
    thanks

• 18 years ago

Here's Word's version of a solution to your problem:

Sub HelloHi()
    '
    ' HelloHi Macro
    ' Macro recorded 21/03/02
    '
      Selection.WholeStory
      Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
      Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
      With Selection.Find
         .Text = "Hello"
         .Replacement.Text = "Hi"
         .Forward = True
         .Wrap = wdFindAsk
         .Format = False
         .MatchCase = False
         .MatchWholeWord = False
         .MatchWildcards = False
         .MatchSoundsLike = False
         .MatchAllWordForms = False
      End With
      Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    End Sub

Incorporate this into your code and see if it helps.

• 18 years ago

Thank you for your help.  But, mine is getting a bit more complicated.  What if I want to find every whole word that starts with 'hello'?  For eg: How do I find "<helloJohn>" and "<helloSmith>".  All I know is that it starts with '<hello' but I need to grab the whole word '<Hello_John>'.  Is it possible to get the whole word? Can someone help?
    thank you.

• 18 years ago

ok.  I got it working half way.  
    I am able to find every text that starts with '<hello' and can change to '<hi'.  But, I need to grab the whole text, then replace it.   How can grab the whole text and store it?

find:  <helloJohn>
            <hello
    William>

replace:  <hiJo>
                  <hi
    Will>

I can do:  <hiJohn>
                   <hi
    William>  Can not change the whole text.
    Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese help!

• 18 years ago

As you’re looking for different strings and looking to replace each one with a unique string, you’ll probably need to do a loop to search through the document for each string, replacing it, then looping through again to replace the next one, unless you can come up with a way of using the Select Case command.

• 18 years ago

Yes, I did try to loop through the whole document.  But what happened was, I wasn't able to grab the whole string.  I used selection.find.text = 'hello' and used a loop to replace.  But, it only replaced the word 'hello' not the whole string 'hello_John'.  Is it possible to get the whole string if I know every string that I need to replace starts with 'hello'???  Then, I can loop and replace them.
    thank you.

• 18 years ago

Insert this bit of code after you have found "hello".  It will extend the selection to the end of the next word.  

Selection.MoveEnd wdWord, 2

You could then put the contents of the selection into a string and manipulate it using string functions.

Hope this helps

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Computer science education cannot make anybody an expert programmer any more than studying brushes and pigment can make somebody an expert painter” - Eric Raymond