General, secure, portable data storage

csharp , db , xml Tampa, United States
  • 12 years ago

Hi,

I'm an ex-VB6 programmer looking to get back into software development and I've chosen to do this with C#. (I confess to having studdied C for a couple of years about two decades ago.)

I'm pretty happy with getting started with the C# its self, having ready the reference guides for cover to cover. I've decided to start by writing myself a little contacts management system as my first application, just to get the ball rolling. My question is, what is the best method for storing the data that my app will use? With VB I'd have gone straight for an MS Access database, but now it seems that things have moved on and maybe there is a better way of doing this. I'd use XML, except that it's totally insecure and has no direct indexing or sorting methods, that I'm aware of.

Advice gratefully listened to.

Thanks,

Martin

• 12 years ago

Thanks for the info.

Because I'm not looking at storing large quantities of data (contacts, calendar, planner, etc), I was hoping to use something with very little overhead, which is what attracted me to XML. MS Access requires installing, licences, all of that crap. These may not be too much of an issue for me now, but if I make this thing available to others later on, I'd like to build that sort of portability into it early on. Thus also the security issues.

I'll continue with my design work and see how things pan out before I make the DB choice.

Regards,

Martin

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Brevity is the soul of wit” - Shakespeare