Aggregation of same data with different conditions - Help please!

sql server Iran
  • 12 years ago

Hi all.

I've got a set of data which has a userid, a numeric value, and a date associated.

I need to aggregate the numeric values by user and by yearly quarter (current and next).  That is, I'm trying to produce a result set which is grouped by the userid, and has 6 other columns; the 3 months of the current quarter and the 3 months of next.

I'm struggling to work out how to get this view.  For the current date it'd be something like:

Column 1: User ID
    Column 2: Sum of Values, Where associated Date is in January (assuming January can be identified by various date functions - I've already got this done).
    Column 3: Sum of Values, Where associated Date is in February.
    Column 4: Sum of Values for March.
    Column 5: Sum of Values for April.
    Column 6: Sum of Values for May.
    Column 7: Sum of Values for June.

Can anyone suggest how I could achieve this?  Assume I've got variables to identify months, quarters, etc.  So pseudo-code responses are fine :)  Thanks.

• 12 years ago

UPDATE:  I've found a solution now using switches.  Thanks to anyone who pondered this thread!

Post a reply

Enter your message below

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I’ll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.” - Jamie Zawinski