Friend of friend search

db , mysql Ambāla, India
  • 12 years ago

Hi All,

I need to implement "Friend of a Friend" problem with minimal costs using either MySQL or PHP/MySQL. I wonder if there is an implementation that would just allow to solve this problem with minimal costs The description is as below:-

I want to build a "social network" extension and try to find the best way to implement a Friend of a Friend connection path. (Facebook has something like that I think) e.g. We both have the same friend, but don't know each other. The algorithm should give me a path from me, over our same friend to you. (Me - Friend - You) But it should also find connections, that have a bigger distance, e.g. (Me - Friend1 - Friend2 - Friend3 - You) but not exceeding this situation - (Me - Friend1 - Friend2 - Friend3 - Friend4 - You)

I stored user relations in database as I (user_id|friend_id = me|friend and friend|me) Any help would be really grateful

Post a reply

No one has replied yet! Why not be the first?

Sign in or Join us (it's free).

Contribute

Why not write for us? Or you could submit an event or a user group in your area. Alternatively just tell us what you think!

Our tools

We've got automatic conversion tools to convert C# to VB.NET, VB.NET to C#. Also you can compress javascript and compress css and generate sql connection strings.

“PHP is a minor evil perpetrated and created by incompetent amateurs, whereas Perl is a great and insidious evil perpetrated by skilled but perverted professionals.” - Jon Ribbens